Government interferes with USENET?

ccr at duke.UUCP ccr at duke.UUCP
Thu Nov 1 18:24:10 AEST 1984

ommuni-
cations Subcommittee of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and
Transportation, and would prohibit the use of non-secure data networks for the
transmission of research material retricted by the Department of Commerce
Controlled Commodities List.  For those of you not familiar with the list, it
covers almost everything of interest in computer science.
     I was outraged (to say the least), and told her this would probably
destroy the use of academic networks and greatly restrict the flow of research
information.  Your comments would be appreciated (post comments to net.followup;
she will not use names in any news articles). I have already written to Senator
Helms (SD402, Dirksen Office Building, Washington, DC, 20510).  Helms is
notorious for extreme right-wing views.  There is no doubt in my mind that he
believes enough in this to follow through.

				Carl Romano (ccr at duke)