Government interferes with USENET?

Earl Wallace earlw at pesnta.UUCP
Tue Nov 6 04:48:11 AEST 1984

How could the Government interfere with USENET? This is a free Nation
and "We the People" control the Government...... right?

I guess writing about the internals of a Computer is restricted information
and could cause death and destruction to all mankind?
Maybe the Government should encourage communications between people instead
of putting up barriers all the time.  Would the U.S. be were it is today if
only the "top-secret" cleared scientists were able to exchange information on
advanced topics and the rest of us "uncleared" personnel could only talk about
new ways of preparing meatloaf salads?

All I can thing of now is the phrase "divide and conquer".  Divide the People
by preventing them from communicating to each other, then pass laws that are
very complex and require a group effort to understand, then the Nation is
yours to command.  Next step is to make it illegal to transmit any computer
information over a phone line without a special "export" license since its
so easy to dial up a site outside the U.S. and "dump" all those secrets...

 maintain some sort
of technoligical lead in the World.  Or we can continue to shut down comm-paths
until each person is only allowed to talk to one other person.  We can have
word-of-mouth communication and soon we will be eating out of stone bowls and
hunting for food with our bare hands.
--
Earl Wallace
UUCP:   ..!{ihnp4, ucbvax!hplabs, ucbvax!twg}!pesnta!earlw