a68 (Algol 68) ?

Arnold Robbins arnold at gatech.CSNET
Tue Apr 30 02:33:05 AEST 1985

> > In looking at the Feb 1985 ;login:, published by USENIX, I see that the
> > 1981 tape has something on it called 'a68'.  I am assuming that this is
> > an Algol 68 compiler for some version of Unix.
> >
> > Arnold Robbins
>
> Funny, my first impression would have been a 68000 assembler.  I have
> badly corrupted.
>
> John Selhorst           decwrl!{amd!cae780,sun!sunncal}!leadsv!horst

I got lots of mail about this; everyone agrees that it is indeed an
assembler for the Motorola 68000.  It looks like I'm going to have to
wait for the Amsterdam Compiler Kit version to come out.

I don't remember where I read it, but it seems to me that either Berkeley
or Bell Labs research had an Algol 68 compiler, called 'a68', which is why
I was hoping that that was what was on the Usenix tape.

Thanks to all who replied,
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold at gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP:	{ akgua, allegra, hplabs, ihnp4, seismo, ut-sally }!gatech!arnold

When taking aim at the ball, it helps tremendously to pretend it's a PR1ME...