Disillusionment with Usenix tutorial

Spencer W. Thomas thomas at utah-gr.UUCP
Tue Aug 13 10:23:27 AEST 1985

In article <6 at nbs-amrf.UUCP> libes at nbs-amrf.UUCP (Don Libes) writes:
>While I'm on the subject, just what is the point of offering courses
>like "Elementary C programming" or "Elementary shell programming" or "An
>Introduction to UNIX" at a Usenix conference?  The conference is
>supposed to cater to experienced UNIX users, no?  You're not going to go
>to AAAI or SIGGraph to get an introduction to AI or graphics, are you?

Well, let's see.  Looking through this year's SIGGRAPH program, we find
the following courses:
1. Introduction to computer graphics
2. Introduction to color raster graphics
8. How to evaluate and shop for computer graphics hardware
9. Introduction to computer amimation
18. Introduction to solid modeling
26. Introduction to image processing

So 6/27 = 22% of the SIGGRAPH tutorials were introductions to some topic
in "computer graphics".  The answer, in this case is "yes, many people
go to SIGGRAPH to get an introduction to computer graphics."

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas at utah-cs.ARPA)
	"To feel at home, stay at home.  A foreign country is not designed