Legal Research on Usenet Liability Issues

Derek Andrew derek at sask.UUCP
Fri Feb 8 16:00:47 AEST 1985

I take exception to the statment in the ;login article posted to
Usenet wherein it asks the question:

	What are the Potential Liabilities of USENIX
	as the Provider of the USENET Service?

If Usenix is the provider of Usenet, where should I send
my monthly bills so they can pay them?

This is the same problem we faced earlier when the media
used the term "hackers" to refer to the derelicts what
delight in cracking computer security.

Usenet has little to do with an organization such as
Usenix.  It is merely a collection of cooperating sites
banding together to share data on a global scale.

Perhaps this is a reference to Stargate?

--
Derek Andrew, ACS, U of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon Saskatchewan, Canada, S7N 0W0
{ihnp4 | utah-cs | utcsrgv | alberta}!sask!derek  306-966-4820  0900-1630 CST