EMACS for System V and other tools from AT&T

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sat Jan 12 16:30:51 AEST 1985

> At  ATT  they  run Warren Montgomery's EMACS under System V. ...
> This EMACS is ATT proprietary and I do not believe it is included
> as part of  the  releases.

AT&T has recently introduced an interesting new idea - the UNIX System
Toolchest.  They're offering various internal tools (including WM's EMACS)
in source form on an "as-is" basis.  A prospective purchaser can dial into
a 3B2 supporting the toolchest and log in.  They get thrown into a browser
program that lets you look through the catalog and place orders.  If you've
bought a license for the toolchest, you can order tools on an *a la carte*
basis.  The registration fee for the toolchest is $100, waived if you are
a System V licensee (so I presume you don't need a System V license to
order these tools).  The individual tool prices vary; EMACS is fairly
expensive, if I remember correctly.  You can also get binary sublicenses
for the tools, so an OEM of UNIX can offer them with their binary-sublicensed
UNIX systems.  "For more information on UNIX System Toolchest, please
contact your AT&T Account Representative on 1-800-828-UNIX."

Oh yes, software is delivered via UUCP.  When you log in, they ask for your
UUCP mail ID; I don't know how they get your UUCP information, as we're not
licensed yet and I didn't order anything.  If you're in the Network Action
Central database, they might be able to look it up there, but if you're not
they'll have to get your phone number and login information somehow.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy