Dallas- uniforum comments

Chuqui & MacDuff chuqui at nsc.UUCP
Wed Jan 23 16:10:45 AEST 1985

It's Tuesday-- conmtrary to my previous comments they opened Uniforum (and
the Informart) on time-- getting the occupancy permit for the building at
about 10PM the evening before a Noon opening. The building, though still
not completely done, looks gorgeous. The trade show looks quite impressive,
a lot of good proucts and people are here. So far, so good. Usenix opens
tomorrow, so the hackers will all run off and leave the marketing people
alone. A lot of marketing people are probably looking forward to this, too.

The biggest event of the day (that I noticed) was that Sun announced their
distributed file system setup. Looks impressive, and will be put mostly
in the public domain, both technical specs and code. A defacto (and
impressive) standard-- users with networking who are looking for a
distributed environment should look at it closely.

the second biggest event was the fact that it hit 40 degrees here. Dallas
is STILL cold...

more later, from dallas...
	chuq
--
>From the ministry of silly talks:               Chuq Von Rospach
{allegra,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui nsc!chuqui at decwrl.ARPA

National Semiconductor does not require useless disclaimers on posted
material that is obviously not posted by company spokesmen...