Disillusionment with Usenix tutorial

Richard Kelley rpk at ecsvax.UUCP
Sun Jul 28 05:36:32 AEST 1985

(the following are only my opinions. )

If you can say anything about the tutorials put on by Usenix it is that
they vary wildly in sophistication.  At the Dallas meeting for example
I signed up for a course in System Admin that was taught by an ill-prepared
instructor that rambled on and on and never said anything of use to real-life
system admin.  I found out that he had never done any real system
administration and that he wasn't going to address issues such as security
backups, staffing, and user admin except in general terms ("security is
important, you should consider it...backups are important, try to do them,...
etc, etc).  I left this foolishness and changed my ticket to an Advanced
Shell Programming course taught by Mark Sobel that was very interesting
and professionally done.

Moral: Usenix doesn't appear to screen the instructors so you should.  I
haven't attended any since that I haven't talked with the instructor
beforehand.  The amount of money wasted is trival -- the time is anything
but.

#include <disclaim>    /* does your system have this file ?  */

       -Dick                                       --- ecsvax!rpk
                                                  /
USENET: {decvax, ihnp4, the_known_world}!mcnc! ---                      --- root
                                                   --- rti-sel!flan ---
                                                                       \
                                                                        --- rpk
ARPA: decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!rpk at BERKELEY