USENIX conferences

Mike Tilson mike at hcradm.UUCP
Sun Mar 17 05:25:24 AEST 1985

A question was asked about running Usenix meetings in the same city
as UniForum, either the week before or the week after, so that people
could attend both in just one (longer) trip, with one airfare, etc.

This option was considered by the Usenix board and rejected.  While
it would certainly make it possible to attend both events at lower
cost, we felt that:

1.  For people who were going to attend *only* one or the other, it
    obviously made no difference,

2.  For most people who wanted to attend both, the disruption caused by
    being away from the office or school for two weeks in a row
    was worse than the added cost, and

3.  The ideal city for UniForum (which needs a large convention/trade
    show facility) is not necessarily ideal for Usenix.  (For example,
    I think Portland is going to be a very good site for the June
    conference, but it is very unlikely that UniForum would ever go
    there.)

We know that for some people a two-week event would be the best solution,
but it was our feeling that it was not for the majority of people.  (As
an example, I personally find the thought of a two-week UNIX meeting
horrifying.  The only thing that justifies the hassle of being away from
the office for two or more weeks is a vacation!)

The Usenix board would be interested to hear from you if you think we
have mis-estimated the preference of our conference attendees.  (Please
send mail on the subject, don't post to the net.  Thanks.)

/ Mike Tilson	Human Computing Resources Corp.
		Usenix Association board member

		{utzoo,decvax}!hcr!hcradm!mike