Stargate, costs, and alternative services

John Bass bass at dmsd.UUCP
Sun Jul 20 02:47:45 AEST 1986

In article <1018 at im4u.UUCP>, jsq at im4u.UUCP (John Quarterman) writes:
> This article is intended to address a few mistaken assumptions
> that have been posted recently.  I am a member of the USENIX
> Board and of the Board committee which is working on the Stargate
> project, though my opinions do not necessarily reflect those
> of the board as a whole.

Thanks to John for the informative posting outlining the current actions
and concerns plus the intent of service. This is much different than
some of the postings asserting that Stargate would replace usenet.

I would like to note for the record that I am not anti-Stargate, but
rather have concern for usenet and what might replace it. The general
lack of Stargate information for such a long time make it suspect.

I (and most people) understand the difference between a business plan and
working assumptions (and/or proposals). What I/we are really interested in
is the working assumptions on costing and subscriber base since these affect
greatly how much energy should be placed into looking alternatives (which
include other ways of implementing Stargate as a non-profit effort). This is
the data I know has been kicking around for most of the last year.  If
Stargate is essentially free (IE less than $50/month including cable service
and equipment) then it would be nearly ideal in SOME ways. Since your business
plan can not be complete until you have firm costing from the carriers and
agreement from the USENIX board on funding the service, would you please post
the cost/services/budget assumptions that you currently envision will be
submitted and accepted for approval by USENIX.

It is much easier to help when informed. Without information only
well intended speculation can occur ... people like to SEE and PLAN
where they are being lead. If you expect people to actively support this
effort then they must be better informed than what has happened for the
last year -- PARTICULARLY if you plan to place trial service into effect
starting in January. Getting information AFTER THE FACT is useless!!!!!
In fact it raises only more questions about how and why things are being
done.

Trust is a two way street ... to be trusted requires trusting. I will not
accept having an undiscussed Stargate implemented defacto, most of my
mail replies support this stand. I am more suprised that only I have
been willing to post such concerns on the net.

Your comment on staffing for billing/collections was quite interesting
and quite like another area that is often overlooked ... janitorial services
and supplies.

Have fun ... eagerly awaiting some interesting data.

--

John Bass (DBA:DMS Design)
DMS Design (System Design, Performance and Arch Consultants)