Favorite operating systems query (UNIX vs VMS flaming!!!)

Jim Olsen jim at oswald.UUCP
Thu Jul 10 09:49:04 AEST 1986

In article <1320 at psivax.UUCP> friesen at psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>	Oh, *great*:-) How does the DCL parse the arguments for a user
>written application program?? I can't see how it can do this without
>some rather messy interface requirements.  This really sounds like a
>way to make user-written programs second class citizens on the system.
>I think the individual program is better qualified to analyse its own
>arguments, whay is really needed is a *standard* for this, like getopts(3)!

On the contrary, user-written programs under VMS are not second-class citizens
in this respect.  There is a fully documented facility for telling DCL how to
parse the command line.  This facility is used by system and user programs
alike.  As to whether it's better to have the program or the system parse the
command line, I think that's a matter of taste.  However, having the system
do the parsing makes it easier to encourage standardization.