Again ... What is it going to COST?????

joel at gould9.UUCP joel at gould9.UUCP
Wed Jul 16 02:02:44 AEST 1986

In article <945 at vortex.UUCP>, lauren at vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) writes:
> Many of the details of Stargate, including organizational, cost,
> and some technical issues, are proceeding behind closed doors right now
> Given the lack of details, it is only natural that some persons might
> get false ideas or operate under false assumptions if they speculate
> upon what we're trying to accomplish.

I hope that means that John's point #2 is truly false.  Every other
for-profit information service has a clause that reads roughly:

	we'll sell you this info for your own personal use, but you
	cannot sell or give this to any other person or service.

Since, as John correctly points out, anyone can join now and receive
unrestricted access and redistribution from the net (and for free, if
they can finagle the phone call issue) I would hope that this aspect
would not be destroyed in an attempt to "save" USENET.

I trust that the behind the scenes work will be described at a later
date.  I HOPE that those working on the project have the same goals
as the net as a whole.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037