announcing the availability of 4.3BSD Usenix manuals

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.UUCP
Tue Sep 30 15:04:59 AEST 1986

I agree with John Gilmore here.  What good is a USENIX individual
membership if all it gives you are N copies of every UNI-OPS mailing
and an issue of ;login which these days seems to be filled with notes
of long-past board of directors meetings and little else, when the
USEFUL material (i.e. things like 4.3BSD manuals) are restricted to
institutional and "supporting" members?

At the very least, some explanation is is order here.  Is this a licensing issue
with AT&T or Berkeley?  If so, its logic escapes me and it must be something
new, for I've been able to walk off the street and purchase the USENIX 4.2BSD
manuals at the Harvard Science Center, no questions asked.  What's the
necessity of the middleman?

What are the constraints on the USENIX Association which would require
such a policy?
--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.HARVARD.EDU