announcing the availability of 4.3BSD Usenix manuals

Jordan M. Hayes jordan at ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Sep 30 13:05:31 AEST 1986

[ shuffle, shuffle ... where did I put my USENIX hat? Ah ... there
  it is ... fits pretty good ... ]

John Gilmore <gnu at hoptoad.uucp> asks:

	Is there no way for a 4.2BSD binary licensed (Sun) Unix site to
	get copies of these manuals?

See, the problem here is twofold: First, the manuals are licensed
materials -- you have to show your license to get them. So, if you,
John Gilmore, have a valid 4.3 License, you can get a set of manuals.
Since most individuals are not licensed, we usually generalize to the
Institutional members.

Second of all, you don't run 4.3 at all. You don't have a source
license -- all you have is 4.2 binary. Why do you think it costs
so much for a source license (not the actual BSD license, but what you
need to get one, i.e., sysV)?

Man, you *have* manuals -- you got them from Sun when you bought their
system. Buy a vax, buy sysV, buy 4.3 and you can get your manuals for
ony $60/set! Such a deal!

	I could go to any bookstore and buy System V manuals but it
	would feel better to just shoot myself instead.

Well ...

/jordan
{ucbvax,decvax}!usenix!jordan

ps: why would you want a set of 4.3 manuals (let alone sysV ones)
    if you run 4.2 Sun? Never mind ...