"to die"

dyer at spdcc.UUCP dyer at spdcc.UUCP
Mon Feb 16 16:17:52 AEST 1987

>> BTW, the Washington USENIX Conference was terrific!  I'm looking
>> forward to buying the video tape of the technical sessions.
>
>Clearly a database performance person.  To anyone else it was to die.

Agreed.  I think I'd rather have a poke in the eye with a sharp stick
than have to listen again to many of the self-appointed cabal pontificate about
where UNIX is or isn't headed, not to mention the interminable presentation
which went something like "How I brought up V4 on an 11/20 with a root on
DECtapes..."  The remainder of the sessions were often too specialized
to get a lot of value out of all of them; at least the previous year's
Winter confererence was SO specialized (e.g., UNIX on Big Iron, Ada and UNIX)
that it effectively filtered out those who wouldn't be interested in attending.
It's a poor USENIX conference indeed (for me at least) where the high points
were the Uniforum trade show and the Washington subway (love those fare cards!)

Perhaps it was just too soon after Atlanta; I look forward to the more wide-
ranging Summer program in Phoenix and trying to limit myself to one a year.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.HARVARD.EDU