Good restaurants around DC while you're at Usenix

Ron Natalie <ron> ron at brl-sem.ARPA
Thu Jan 15 10:52:56 AEST 1987

Well, Gilmore seems to way the availability of vegetarian meals at
a restaurant more than I do.  The absolute best Italian restaurant
in Washington is the Cantina d'Italia on Connecticut Avenue around
L-M Sts.

For ultimate pig outs, some of you may remember our excursion to
the Palm (around 19th and M) or so.  This place features portions
too large for most mortals to consume including Lobster from 3-7
pounds, etc... Prices to match (Lobster used to be about $12 /lb.)
This is the same restaurant as the one in Beverly Hills and other
place.

In the same general vicinity is the Szechuan Garden, a good but
probably over expensive place ($25) and for a change of pace a
Lebonese place called Bacchus.

Not to be missed for the real adventurous is the Marakesh.  Hard
to find in the 600 block of New York Avenue, NW, it is a morrocan
restaurant where you eat out of a communal platter with the rest
of your guests.  Belly dancing occurs on special occasions.  Make
a reservation.  It's only a few blocks from the convention center.
It is just South (West? NY Ave is a diagonal street) and on the
same side of the street as the Ristorante Italiano (no, I've never
been there...it is more visible as it has the provisions for a side
walk cafe).  There is a rather ornate door with no sign or anything
in the middle of the same block.  If you drive by slowly a man will
jump out and yell "MARAKESH!" and attempt to park your car.  Knock
on the door and you will be escorted by a robed gentleman to your
table.  Dinner runs about $30 per person.

For those looking for a Barbecue of different sorts, Tony Chengs
Mongolian restaurant is not bad.  I don't recall the location, you
customize your own dinner an then have it grilled.

For those looking for Dim-Sum, an unusual one that is pretty good
is located around 300 block of Wisconson Avenue in the bottom floor
of an office builing in Bethesda.  I can't recall what the name of
it, but in addition to regular dimsum, they have some rather good
fish/seafood selections.

In Georgetown, roughly accross the street and one block west of
Gilmore's vegetarian Indian place is an Argentine restaurant of
fairly good reputation.  Immediately next to that is another Indian
restaurant that has a good lunch buffet.

-Ron