Good restaurants around DC while you're at Usenix

Don Libes libes at nbs-amrf.UUCP
Sun Jan 4 04:07:52 AEST 1987

> I want to remind people to post restaurant recommendations for the
> Washington, DC area so we can enjoy them while visiting at Usenix.

I believe Rick Adams has already taken the effort to collect local
restaurant reviews for inclusion in the USENIX program.

> I'll start off with two.  The best restaurant I know of in the world is
> in Bethesda, MD, a short walk from the Bethesda subway stop, which is a
> few stops north from the Usenix hotel.  It's called the Pines of Rome

Sorry, but I disagree.  (I was just there last week.)  Some of the
dishes are very good, but they have their share of failures, too.
People tell me it is fairly authentic.  Perhaps that is what about it
appeals to you.

> The other is a hole in the wall Indian restaurant.  A diner.  Wobbly
> cheap -- I think about $5/person.  I don't recall the name of the

Paru's Indian Vegetarian Restaurant.  (The name is bigger than the
restaurant.)  If your diet is restricted to rice and lentils - yes,
it's good.  But I wouldn't bother.  You can make this stuff at
home.  You've schlepped all the way to DC, so why not eat at some
of the unusual restaurants in this area.  Certainly try and visit
some of the better Indian and Afghan restaurants before Paru's.

Since Rick has already done the work, I won't go into specifics,
but general recommendations for restaurants that are unusual and
have excellent food, try the Thai and Ethiopian restaurants (many
people don't like the latter).  A bit more down to earth, are the
Latin-American and Spanish restaurants.  My personal fav is the
Morroccan restaurant, Marrakesh - an experience.

Look for more details in the USENIX program, or find me at the
conference!

Don Libes   {seismo,mimsy}!nbs-amrf!libes