Good restaurants around DC while you're at Usenix

John Gilmore gnu at hoptoad.uucp
Sat Jan 3 18:54:31 AEST 1987

I want to remind people to post restaurant recommendations for the
Washington, DC area so we can enjoy them while visiting at Usenix.

I'll start off with two.  The best restaurant I know of in the world is
in Bethesda, MD, a short walk from the Bethesda subway stop, which is a
few stops north from the Usenix hotel.  It's called the Pines of Rome
and it's on Hampden Lane, a little street just off Wisconsin Avenue at
the Sovrain Bank building.  The food is moderately expensive (I seem to
recall about $15 for entrees) and it's worth every penny.  They
specialize in seafood as well as pasta dishes and close to the best
pizza I've ever had.  (The pizza is so good that you should order it
with one, MAX two, ingredient -- so you can taste the pizza, not the
toppings.)  Try *all* the appetizers -- white pizza, beans in great
sauce, fried mushrooms, fried bell peppers -- unlike any you've had.
They don't require that you dress up.  I used to work in
the building across the street, and ate there at least once a week.  I
didn't know how good I had it until I moved away.  A good friend
says he has found a Creole restaurant in Louisiana that's better than
the Pines, but I haven't been there so I can't credit the story.

The other is a hole in the wall Indian restaurant.  A diner.  Wobbly
Formica tables, and you go up to the cash register to order and carry
the food back yourself.  But it has great Indian food and it's very
cheap -- I think about $5/person.  I don't recall the name of the
restaurant, but it's on the south side of S street just east of
Connecticut Avenue (north of Dupont Circle).  To get there from Usenix
you'd just go south on Connecticut Ave about 25 blocks, or take the
subway to Dupont Circle, walk north on Conn., and go right on S.  I
lived a few blocks from this place many years ago; and I re-located it
last summer.  It's still good.  Maybe a local can post its name.

See you there!!!

PS:  The National Zoo is a short walk north from the Usenix hotel.  It's
a "good zoo" as I rate zoos.
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu at ingres.berkeley.edu
  I forsee a day when there are two kinds of C compilers: standard ones and
  useful ones ... just like Pascal and Fortran.  Are we making progress yet?
	-- ASC:GUTHERY%slb-test.csnet