dr11w driver

Dan Ehrlich ehrlich at psuvax1.UUCP
Thu Jan 22 00:06:19 AEST 1987

In article <5127 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>If anyone has or knows of a dr11w device driver which runs under
>>Berkeley Unix version 4.3, PLEASE send me Email. ...
>
>Why is it that as soon as it is explained why this is an unreasonable
>or incomplete request, six of them appear?  The DR11W does not *do*
>anything by itself.  One can ask for a driver for `a DR11W connected
>to a Foomix Graphi-Phaser II' or `a DR11W connected to a Blorch Inc.
>Bus Buster' or whatever, but asking for a DR11W driver is somewhat
>like asking for a Unibus Adapter driver.
>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 7690)
>UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu

I too am guilty of asking for a "DR11-W driver for BSD 4.3".  So I will be
more specific.  We have recieved a GE Graphicon 700 Graphics Processor.  GE
has device drivers for connecting the Graphicon to a SUN 3/VMEbus or to a
VAX, running VMS V4.4+, UNIBUS.  Unfourtunately what we would like to do is
connect the Graphicon to a VAX running BSD 4.[23], hence the request for a
DR11-W device driver.

****** FALME ON ******
I relaize that the DR11-W is a "genral purpose interface", but regardless of
what kind of device that is connected to it one still has to poke the UNIBUS
in the same manner to get to do anything!
****** FLAME OFF ******

If anyone has a DR11-W driver that could be used as a "model", for getting the
inteface to do anything, for writting my own for the Graphicon I would
appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks in advance.

--Daniel Ehrlich
UUCP:     {burdvax,cbosgd,cmcl2,pitt,ihnp4}!psuvax1!ehrlich
CSNET:    ehrlich at penn-state.csnet  USPS: The Pennsylvania State University
INTERNET: ehrlich at psuvax1.psu.edu         Department of Computer Science
BITNET:   ehrlich at psuvax1.bitnet          333 Whitmore Laboratory
BELL:     +1 814 863 1142                 University Park, PA   16802
Quote: "The sky is blue so we know where to stop mowing."  Judge Harold T. Stone
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not reflect the
            opinions, or policies, of The Pennsylvania State University or the
            Department of Computer Science.