Usenix vs. Uniforum

Jim Jackson jnj at mb2c.UUCP
Wed Jan 7 02:01:43 AEST 1987

In article <2833 at osu-eddie.UUCP>, mdf at osu-eddie.UUCP writes:
> I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
> /usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.  I'm going
> to a conference at Uniforum, and want to make sure I don't miss
> anything.
>
> Can someone enlighten me?

	In a nutshell, DECUS pertains to Digital (DEC) equipment.  Both Usenix
and /usr/group are UNIX based, but Usenix deals more with technical issues and
/usr/group's interest is more in the consumer, or end-user products.  Compare
the two separate programs.  There used to be a much wider gap in attendees of
the two; sandals and ponytails vs. 3-piece suits, but it not quite as wide
today. :)

				Jim Jackson
				Michigan Bell
				ihnp4!mb2c!jnj