Usenix vs. Uniforum

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Wed Jan 7 03:46:46 AEST 1987

> ... but I am unfamiliar with the distinctions between DECUS and
>/usr/group, and lately with the Usenix vs.  Uniforum concept.  I'm going
>to a conference at Uniforum, and want to make sure I don't miss
>anything.
>
>Can someone enlighten me?

You've mentioned three users' groups.  DECUS - the Digital Equipment
Corporation Users Society - is a users' group for DEC users.  They
emphasize DEC products, and allow those users to share ideas about what
they're doing with the DEC stuff.  DECUS holds conferences twice each
year.

The Usenix Association and /usr/group are both users' groups oriented
towards the Unix operating system.  Usenix is more academically and
technically oriented, and /usr/group is more market oriented.

Usenix and /usr/group are sponsoring concurrent conferences in
Washington, D.C. the week of January 19.  The conference and show
sponsored by /usr/group is called Uniforum.  There will probably be
shuttles available between the two conferences, but separate
registrations are required.

Usenix also sponsores a summer conference, which is typically
accompanied by a small vendor exhibit.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."