Banquet at the Pines Wednesday January 21st -- you're invited.

gnu at hoptoad.UUCP gnu at hoptoad.UUCP
Sat Jan 17 09:17:32 AEST 1987

In article <1609 at hoptoad.uucp>, gnu at hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
> The best restaurant I know of in the world is
> in Bethesda, MD, a short walk from the Bethesda subway stop, which is a
> few stops north from the Usenix hotel.  It's called the Pines of Rome
> and it's on Hampden Lane, a little street just off Wisconsin Avenue at
> the Sovrain Bank building.  The food is moderately expensive (I seem to
> recall about $15 for entrees) and it's worth every penny.  They
> specialize in seafood as well as pasta dishes and close to the best
> pizza I've ever had.  (The pizza is so good that you should order it
> with one, MAX two, ingredient -- so you can taste the pizza, not the
> toppings.)  Try *all* the appetizers -- white pizza, beans in great
> sauce, fried mushrooms, fried bell peppers -- unlike any you've had.
> They don't require that you dress up.  I used to work in
> the building across the street, and ate there at least once a week.  I
> didn't know how good I had it until I moved away.

Hello gang.  This is Laura, committing the sin of using another person's
account.  This is because Gnu typed in the article already and the
damn inews threw it away when there was no newsgroup rec.food in our
active file.  Serves him right for using vnews rather than rn which
saves a copy in .article.  This is how I feel about the Pines -- it
is worth spending an hour typing in this article when Gnu has just
done a better job and we just lost it.... DO YOU LIKE FOOD? Eat at
the Pines.  It is our favourite restuarant in the world. We
want all of our friends to have the experience.  So we are putting on
a banquet at the Pines of Rome, Wednesday January 21st.  The cost is
about $20-$25 per person, with wine.  I've phoned the Pines and they
have promised me a room at 8pm -- more space if we need it.

When we get to DC we are going to post a notice about the banquet
on the BOF board a if you want to come, sign it.  DO NOT SEND ME
EMAIL ABOUT IT.  You will only clog my already constipated mailbox,
and I won't even read it until I get back from DC.  At 4pm I will
count the signatures and add a finangling-fudge-factor and then
phone the Pines and say `we want space for X people'.  The Pines
is a big resturant.  It is so good that it expanded to fill a whole
floor of a building - they have lots of rooms.  So if 120 people sign
up and you are wondering if there is going to be room for you, yes,
Virginia, there is enough room.  Of course, if 5,000 of you want
to come, we will have to deal with the problem.  3 day conference
in DC with dinner at the Pines every night....

Here is how to get to the Pines: the best ways are subway or cabs.
Cars are easy but then you have to park, which is hard.   By subway,
take the same line that runs past Usenix on Connecticut Avenue (I think
it's the Red Line) north to the Bethesda station.  The Pines is on
Hampden Lane at Wisconsin Avenue, just south of the Bethesda subway
station on the main drag of Bethesda.  Come up out of the station by
going up escalators and stairs til you can't go up no more.  You
should be at the corner of Wisconsin Avenue, East-West Highway, and Old
Georgetown Road.  Don't cross any streets, just go up the stairs and
right, along Wisconsin Avenue towards a hotel.  Pass the hotel, a
statue of the Pioneer Mothers, a post office, cross a street, pass a
gas station, and go right at the next street (Hampden Lane), just
before the Sovrain Bank at 7316 Wisconsin.  The Pines is halfway down
the block on the right.

By car from Usenix, go north on Connecticut Avenue to East-West Highway
(maybe 50 blocks?).  You'll cross into Maryland on the way.  Go left on
East-West until Wisconsin Avenue -- the next major street.  Watch for
the green "P" signs pointing toward parking.  Park wherever you can,
praying fervently to EasyGod, the god of parking, then get to Wisconsin
Avenue and follow the directions from the subway stop.

See you there!

	Laura and John
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu at ingres.berkeley.edu
/* No comment */