gripe about Washington Usenix conference

steffen at ihlpg.UUCP steffen at ihlpg.UUCP
Fri Mar 6 00:39:25 AEST 1987

> There was a lecturn in the hall where Henry Spencer gave his paper, he
> just wasn't at it.  He was down on the floor, virtually out of sight,
> flipping foils.  I prefer to be able to see both the speaker and the
> foils.
>
> At future Usenix's, it would be nice if the session chair could provide
> someone other than the speaker to flip the foils.  If need be, I can
> even volunteer for a limited number of talks.

When the speaker flips the foils, the talk is smoother.  I'm always
distracted the speaker constantly interjecting "next foil please" into the
talk.  I've given 4 USENIX talks myself, and I prefer flipping my own
foils, so there should be arrangements to accomodate the speakers
preferences.

I also prefer the speaker be a the foil projector so s/he can point to
something on the foil with a pencil.  The flashlight arrow that a speaker
at the lecturn has to use is harder to see, and distracting because it
jiggles around on the screen because it is hard to hold the flashlight
steady.
--

	Joe Steffen, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL, (312) 369-7395