gripe about Washington Usenix conference

rcj at clyde.UUCP rcj at clyde.UUCP
Mon Mar 2 12:01:49 AEST 1987

In article <7720 at utzoo.UUCP> henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>a significant part of it was due to a botch by the organizers, which I raise
>in public in hopes that it won't happen again.  The botch was very simple:
>there wasn't a lectern by the overhead projector.  Consequently, there was
>nowhere to put my notes where I could read them.  I simply had to keep them
>For that matter, having to bend over every time I wanted to change a foil --
>becaus there was no table to put the foils on -- didn't help either.

Henry, I have great respect for your technical abilities, but this one
seems rather simple.  If I had walked up there and seen no lectern and
no table for the foils, I would have asked for such.  If that didn't work,
I would have demanded such.  And if that didn't work, I would have found
two of the organizers and had one hold my papers while the other held
my foils.  I guarantee they would have got me a lectern or at least a
couple of tables before they submitted to that or had a big stink raised.
They aren't paying you to speak (at least I don't think so); make them
make your life comfortable!  They aren't gods; they's just lil ol human
beans like us -- if they screw up, be understanding but don't expect them
to read your mind!

Yours for better assertiveness training,

The MAD Programmer -- 201-386-4295 (Cornet 232)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd allegra ]!moss!rcj
			...![ ihnp4 cbosgd akgua watmath  ]!clyde!rcj

P.S.:  I know Rick Adams well enough to know that he would have got
you close to what you needed had you just asked.... [Foot in mouth
here if Henry did ask Rick!!!  ;-) ]