Winter Usenix; Getting around San Diego...

Adam Feigin adam at gvax.cs.cornell.edu
Wed Dec 21 10:51:14 AEST 1988

In article <1805 at marconi.sw.mcc.com> knutson at marconi.sw.mcc.com.UUCP (Jim Knutson) writes:
>Would someone in the San Diego area list some attractions that might
>be worth seeing before or after USENIX.  It would help some of us
>plan how long we want to stay and sight-see.  Also, any info on
>prices and how long it takes to see the sight would be helpful.
>
>What about clothing?  Can someone estimate weather for us?

Okay, so I'm not from San Diego, but I've been there many times (I have
family that lives there) and know my way around pretty good....

If you've never been to the SD Zoo, than I suggest that you make a visit
there. It is by far the best Zoo in the US. You will need an entire day
to take it all in. You can do it in less, but you should catch some of
the special animal shows (I recommend the bird show) that they have
during the day and the early evening. I dont remember what the admission
was the last time I was there, but I imagine it's between 5-10 bucks.

Along the same lines, there's the Wild Animal Park (I think it's near
Poway, about 20 minutes N. of SD by freeway). Another thing not to miss.
You travel around on a tram which goes throughout the parks acreage,
where all sorts of beasts are...The best time to go is dusk, as thats
when the majority of animals are most active. Not sure on the price
here, either, but its probably about the same as the Zoo. Plan on about
a 2-3 hours there.

You can check out the USN mothball fleet in the harbor, if that turns
you on, and you can see the real 'Top Gun' school at Miramar Naval Air
Station (if they'll let you in, I don't know about 'tours').

There's also the Scripps Institute of Oceanography in La Jolla, Sea
World, The Reuben Fleet Air & Space Museum & Balboa Park
(I think its still there)

For the very brave, Tijuana is just a hop skip & a jump south. It's a
dirty city, but there are some good restaurants, and you are allowed to
bring back 1 litre of Al-Q-Hall per adult (it's real cheep down there).
Make sure to leave at least an hour coming back through customs..It's a
real nightmare !

The weather??
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
If I remember correctly, SD in the winter is fairly nice.
A rough guestimate would be temps somewhere between 50-60 during the
day, and into the low 40's at night....

Hope this is of help.....

						Adam