Suggestion on USENIX scheduling

ron ron at ccd700.UUCP
Wed Feb 10 23:21:35 AEST 1988

In article <23026 at cmcl2.NYU.EDU>, grob at cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Lori S. Grob) writes:
> In article <8276 at e.ms.uky.edu> david at ms.uky.edu (David Herron) writes:
> >SF Conventions.  I would *really*love* to come to a Usenix and
> >could easily manage it if it were mostly over a weekend.
> I don't know if any of the people suggesting changes have ever been involved
> with booking a large conference at a hotel? The arrangements, as far as dates
> often have to be made 2-3 years in advance, at least for a conference of a
> couple thousand people.
[deleted]
> (Arrive Thursday night to check in, Fri-Sun program, leave Monday morning)
> will still have people missing classes and then what about people whose
> religious beliefs will not let them attend on Sat or Sun.?

	Excuse please.  I have been involved in National conventions that
are held yearly over the Memorial Day weekend.  Our organization seems to
have little problem in getting the hotel in less than a one year cycle!
It also seems to be very easy for students and such to arrage the one or
two days they may want to take for this event and I have NEVER heard any
of the membership complain about (self)violation of religious beliefs.

	Each year our pattern is the same... arrive friday evening and
begin the warm up festivities.  Hit it hard on Saturday and Sunday.
Take it easy on Monday or go home.

	I admit that this is not the 3 day plus that you are moving
towards, but I do think that a better consideration of time is possible.

for what it's worth.
ron tribble
...mibte!ccd700!ron