Next: USENIX Conf

Greg Noel greg at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
Mon Jul 11 13:50:43 AEST 1988

In article <5587 at utah-cs.UUCP> donn at utah-cs.UUCP (Donn Seeley) writes:
>For non-Californians:  The Santa Ana is a hot dry wind that blows in
>from the desert to the east and turns winter into summer.  ....

A common misconception.  In fact, the Santa Ana is a \cold/ \polar/ wind.
It gets hot and dry by losing altitude over the mountains, and it ends up
coming from the east due to the Coreolus (sp?) effect.  Another bit of
trivia: the name is a corruption of "santana;" I've heard several stories
as to why the name became corrupted, but I don't really believe any of them.
--
-- Greg Noel, NCR Rancho Bernardo   Greg.Noel at SanDiego.NCR.COM  or  greg at ncr-sd