USENIX terminal room

Jim Paradis paradis at encore.UUCP
Fri Jul 1 00:59:08 AEST 1988

dave at csd1.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
>Yes, this was quite helpful. I'd like to suggest though that if possible,
>a local number to a local site with something like a telnet shell would
>be useful for folks on the internet. I had made siteseeing (no pun intended)
>trips to local universities to do some telneting.

???????

Uh, how about visiting one of the many booths at the vendor exhibit that
were on the local ethernet?  Several of said booths were gatewayed to
the internet.  It wasn't too hard for me to log in to multimax.arpa from
the vendor show... internet PERFORMANCE was another matter entirely,
though 8-(.  But you would've gotten that anyway whether you logged in
from the vendor floor or from a local university.

Still, the terminal room was a pretty good idea.  Future suggestions
include (1) a sufficient number of terminals for reasonable use (maybe a
dozen or so, if possible) and (2) 24-hour access (I don't know if the
terminal room at this USENIX had that or not, but I noticed that operating
hours weren't posted).

On an unrelated matter:  what was the final registration count?

--
Jim Paradis, Encore Computer
(.signature undergoing renovations. Please pardon our appearance.)