Usenix distribution tapes (Was: C++ tape)

Jim Paradis paradis at encore.UUCP
Sat Jul 30 01:45:29 AEST 1988

In article <158 at usenix.UUCP> peter at usenix.UUCP (Peter H. Salus) writes:
>Individual members of USENIX who wish to obtain a copy of the tape
>may request it from the Association Office, which will then send the
>requestor a "Tape Release Form."  (etc.)

Hmmm... this is interesting.  When I was at Usenix, I picked up a
tape release form only to sigh in resignation when it said in a big
box at the top, "CORPORATE, INSTITUTIONAL, AND SUPPORTING MEMBERS
ONLY".  Nice to know that mere mortals can get the tapes too, but
it would also have been nice to have had forms for individual members
available at Usenix.

For that matter, I have the 4.3BSD manual order form in front of me,
and it too says: "The USENIX Association is proud to announce that it
will be sponsoring production of the 4.3BSD UNIX Manuals for its
Institutional and Supporting members."  Once again, it APPEARS as
though individual members are excluded from ordering the manuals.
Is this correct, or am I reading too much into the form?

On the topic of membership:  I paid the extra $20 for Usenix membership
along with my Usenix conference registration, but I haven't heard
anything  yet.  When will those membership numbers be mailed out
(so I can get my hot little hands on a tape and some manuals)?

--
Jim Paradis, Encore Computer
(.signature undergoing renovations. Please pardon our appearance.)