WARN users of caffeine pills, codeine-based headache remedies

Bud Greasley bud at sq.uucp
Fri Jun 17 08:45:44 AEST 1988

This will primarily interest ``foreigners'' (Canadians, Europeans,
and people from all parts of the Americas other than the U.S.A)
planning to attend USENIX or otherwise visit the U.S.A.:

I am informed by my spies that the U.S.A., once ``the land of the
free'', is now in such a state that even CAFFEINE PILLS
(taken to stay awake at boring committee meetings), and CODEINE
PILLS used for mild headaches, are grounds for major reprisals
by the state.

Now these "drugs" are freely available in Canada, over the counter
without prescription or other form of permission, so people here tend
not to think of them as serious business.

However, Ronald Raygun's ``War on Drugs'' now includes
a ``zero tolerance program'' which means that the state
will seize (permanently) as much of your property as it can,
for even the mildest offense. There are reports that people
crossing the border have lost (permanently) their cars
(a booming business; the U.S. Govt resells the cars and
uses the money to finance the folks who seize cars
at the border...) and other stuff, just for the crime
of trying to stay awake while driving (i.e., having
caffeine in the form of pills) or at boring meetings.

Our Canadian government, the so-called ``true north
strong and free'', is neither big enough nor courageous
enough to stand up for its citizens caught by this nonsense.
More importantly, they have yet to make a big enough effort
to alert Canucks heading south. Last time through the
Canadian side of a major international airport (in May), I saw
no warnings about this lunacy.

So, be warned when going to USENIX. The agents of the U.S. state
are armed and dangerous, and they don't take excuses.

Tell your friends.

P.S. I believe it is still legal down there to buy and use caffeine
in forms known on the street as `coffee', `cola' and `Jolt'
(the latter no doubt a trademark of somebody, probably the
manufacturer), so I don't know what the big deal is.
(Flames to talk.politics, please; I don't read that group).
I certainly don't intend to chance finding out.

P.P.S.: If you really need caffeine pills or codeine (any migraine
sufferers out there?), be SURE you have an official-looking
prescription from your doctor when crossing the border.

Disclaimer: I am neither a doctor, a lawyer, nor a politician.
If in doubt, get the facts BEFORE you get to the border.

For reference: I've been told that a recent (May or June '88?) issue
of MacLean's (Canuck newsmagazine) also discusses this problem, but
haven't seen the article.
-----
Customs agent: Anything to declare?
Oscar Wilde: Only my intelligence.