WARN users of caffeine pills, codeine-based headache remedies

Jane Medefesser jane at tolerant.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 01:26:21 AEST 1988

In article <88Jun16.184430edt.20815 at sq.sq.com> bud at sq.uucp (Bud Greasley) writes:
>I am informed by my spies that the U.S.A., once ``the land of the
>free'', is now in such a state that even CAFFEINE PILLS
>(taken to stay awake at boring committee meetings), and CODEINE
>PILLS used for mild headaches, are grounds for major reprisals
>by the state.

Last time I checked, caffeine was not a controlled substance and was
available over the counter at your favorite pharmacy and even supermarket
under such trade names as "No-Doze", etc. In fact, you can even purchase
them by mail-order - legally.

At least ... last time I checked.

OK, now it's true RayGun is cracking down on drugs but I would be VERY
SUPRISED to see secret agents running around USENIX looking into people's
ditty-bags for Codeine laden aspirin (as available in Canada - I have some.
I am told it's legal to purchase in Canada and transport to the US ONLY if
it's a small amount for personal use (like maybe one bottle of aspirin)).
((But just in case I'm wrong, I'm not telling you where I live. Nooooo sir))

However, if you smoke a joint or drop some acid and wander around the
facility going "Hey wow, man - like everything's so greeeenn" you may get
hassled.

>However, Ronald Raygun's ``War on Drugs'' now includes
>a ``zero tolerance program'' which means that the state
>will seize (permanently) as much of your property as it can,
>for even the mildest offense. There are reports that people
>crossing the border have lost (permanently) their cars
>(a booming business; the U.S. Govt resells the cars and
>uses the money to finance the folks who seize cars
>at the border...) and other stuff, just for the crime
>of trying to stay awake while driving (i.e., having
>caffeine in the form of pills) or at boring meetings.

I doubt this is true of people possessing caffeine. I suspect you are
confusing caffeine pills with amphetamines which look a lot like caffeine
pill. Amphetamines ARE illegal. Caffeine is not.
(*Honest officer - it's just a very large thermos of coffee!!!*)

Possession of illegal drugs is always handel differently than mis-use of
prescrition drugs. "Zero Tolerance" is a crackdown on illegal drug use.
The misuse of prescription drugs is not a target in thi program to my
knowllege.

>So, be warned when going to USENIX. The agents of the U.S. state
>are armed and dangerous, and they don't take excuses.

Oh, hogwash. You've been reading too many newspapers.