WARN users of caffeine pills, codeine-based headache remedies

Steve Simmons simmons at applga.uucp
Tue Jun 21 00:48:06 AEST 1988

In article <88Jun16.184430edt.20815 at sq.sq.com> bud at sq.uucp (Bud Greasley) writes:
>This will primarily interest ``foreigners'' (Canadians, Europeans,
>and people from all parts of the Americas other than the U.S.A)
>planning to attend USENIX or otherwise visit the U.S.A.:
>
>I am informed by my spies that the U.S.A., once ``the land of the
>free'', is now in such a state that even CAFFEINE PILLS
>(taken to stay awake at boring committee meetings), and CODEINE
>PILLS used for mild headaches, are grounds for major reprisals
>by the state.
>
>Now these "drugs" are freely available in Canada, over the counter
>without prescription or other form of permission, so people here tend
>not to think of them as serious business.
>
>[[ and continues on with other flames ]]

Golly gee, I didn't know we were so awful.  Apparently you haven't
crossed into Canada lately.  Last weekend I got told I couldn't bring
my guitar in by a Canadian customs agent.  Seems I couldn't prove it
wasn't a gift for someone.  After some discussion, proof that I could
play it, and clear display that the guitar was old and beat up they
let me thru.  This is reasonable?

Lighten up.  Every country has idiotic laws, and flaming them will never
make the situation better.  A simple posting saying "dos and don'ts" would
be much more reasonable.  Therefore I've compiled a few notes below.  I'm
not a customs agent, just a traveller, so these are not complete by any
means.  Note that they apply to returning to your home country as
well!

Drugs:  Careful.  Don't even think about it if they're recreational.  If
  medical, you will need a signed note from your physician stating what
  the drug is and why you need it.  *Declare it* at the border, and don't
  argue if they take it away -- you'll just get in grouble for hassling
  them.  If you *don't* declare it and they find it, expect the worst.

Food:  Risky.  Many foods are restricted by tarriff, many more for reducing
  spread of crop diseases.  Fresh fruit are welcomed by some, burned by
  others (Arizona is notorious).  Better to hit a local grocery store after
  your arrival.

Liquor:  Call your local agent.  Often you can do the best by buying in
  your duty-free shop leaving home.  But don't try to bring it back with
  you.  If you're taking liquor back home, buy it duty-free as you leave.

Personal Possessions:  Astonishing what some agents will object to.  The
  best bet is to make sure you have all clothes which are clearly not
  brand new.  Three pair of perfectly new shoes is not a good idea.  You
  Canadians especially should be careful bringing in leather goods.  Pick
  things you have worn enough that one can tell.  Don't try to bring
  computers and tapes and floppies either direction.  Ditto other electronic
  componenets.

In general customs agents *are* reasonable.  But hassle them and they'll
hassle right back -- and they can hassle lots harder than you can.
--
+- Steve Simmons            UNIX Systems Mgr.         Schlumberger CAD/CAM -+
+  simmons at applga.uucp                              ...umix!applga!simmons  +