a few questions

Mark Horton mark at cbnews.ATT.COM
Wed Jun 15 03:27:48 AEST 1988

In article <Jun.12.22.43.51.1988.13507 at njin.rutgers.edu> dpz at njin.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>!@#^$&(#% Are they only sold in CA?  None of the local (Elizabeth, NJ
>&& vicinity) shoe places know what a Birkenstock sandal is....

Check your phone book for shoe stores that cater to college crowds.
They're all over the place in the bay area.  Birkinstock is based
in Switzerland, or Germany, I think, the sizes are all European.
I wear a 45 ...

Only catch is that Birkies are sandals, and those of us in hostle
winter climates can only wear them part of the year.  (They also hold
water, so they lose in the rain, on the beach, etc.)  Birkenstock has
some "shoes" out that are really more like clogs.  A decent Birkie
clone for shoes is Shakti, based just outside Washington DC in VA
some place.  I only know of two stores to buy Shakti's, one is in
Berkeley somewhere (I can't remember where) and the other is a
health food store (!) in Georgetown, Washington DC.  You can order
Shakti's mail order from their factory if you're willing to buy
shoes by mail.  (They come in American sizes.)

You can also get Birkinstock inserts for regular shoes.  The point
of Birkies is that you get LOTS OF arch support, plus a few other
features like a toe grip and a natural, level footbed (not negative
like Earth Shoes.)  If you walk a lot, you can walk around all day
in Birkies and your feet don't get tired.  It does take 3-4 days
to get used to all that arch support, though.

I wear Shakti's with ties and jackets, and so far, none of the
conservative, upper management AT&T types have said anything.
They look like Earth Shoes, but in regular leather, black or brown.

>In fact, on the subject of "a few questions", anyone have any good
>restaurants (or shoe stores :-)) to recommend in the 'Frisco area?
						      -------

A friendly word of advice.  When you go to the *Bay area*, don't
use the F word.  That's an obscenity in those parts, almost like
an ethnic slur.

Somebody from Berkeley ought to post a copy of the Berkeley Eats guide.
(Isn't there a Yum Yum at Stanford, too?)  I don't know if it's still
up to date, but it had recommendations near campus, with some places
in the city proper.

Wish I could be there, folks, but my divorce trial is June 23.
I'm fighting for custody of my two little boys, she's doing her
best to take them away from me, and me from them.  My lawyer says
I've got the case won, if we can get it brought to trial.
If you see me in the city, you'll know she got a 5th continuance,
and I'll need some cheering up.  If I'm not there, I'd appreciate
a prayer from any Christians out there.  (Or maybe send $1 to pay
my lawyer to Box 571, 43068-0571 :-)

	Mark Horton