Nominations and academics

John S. Quarterman jsq at uunet.UU.NET
Mon Mar 7 09:27:24 AEST 1988

In article <458 at fig.bbn.com> rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>So, what can be done for next time?  Well, I have a couple of suggestions,
>which I'll present to the board later.  Basically, a rough outline of what
>a board member does should be posted in ;login: when the call for
>nominations is set,

I agree that this would be useful thing to have, but I'm not sure what
it would say:  other than the basics of attending four meetings a year
to make decisions regarding the association and keeping in touch the
rest of the time, individual board members tend to do quite different
things depending on their interests and what needs to be done.  A new
board member might end up doing something new. As for the legal
responsibilities (especially of the officers), I believe the bylaws
were printed in ;login: recently, and a copy can be obtained from the
office.

You can get some idea of what board members do by reading the current
and previous statements by nominees in ;login:.  Also, the electronic
addresses of all board members are in the masthead of ;login:.

> as well as contact points for how to get involved

You can find out how to get involved with anything regarding USENIX by
contacting the office:  usenix!office, office at usenix.org, or 415-528-8649.

>with the nominating and conference program committees, etc.

Program committees are appointed by program chairs, who are appointed
by the board.  Program chairs for future conferences are listed in ;login:
and can be found by contacting the office.

>  Also, I think five signatures is too easy to a nominating requirement.

There is a committee appointed by the board looking into the possibility of
changing the election procedures.  If you have suggestions for what they
should consider, please send them to Peter Salus <usenix!peter or
peter at usenix.org>, the USENIX Executive Director.

>I'm gonna work on changing that this year, and I encourage everyone
>else to do so, also.

I don't think anybody's going to argue with that....