What to see at the summer Usenix conf.?

Karen Petraska karen at umbc3.UMBC.EDU
Fri Apr 21 05:42:34 AEST 1989

In article <4361 at icldata.UUCP> cratz at icldata.UUCP (Tony Cratz) writes:
>Well with the summer Usenix conference coming up the question is...
>what is there to do and see while at the conference?

There are many things to do while in Baltimore.  Downtown Baltimore (where
Usenix is being held) is situated on a branch of river which leads to the
Chesapeake Bay.  Most of the hotels housing Usenix participants are within a
few blocks walking distance of the harbor area, and the Hyatt and Sheraton
both face the waterfront.  Most of the following places are within walking
distance (or short trip via public transit) of the harbor area.

1)  "Harborplace" is a fun place to visit, even for locals.  It is made up of
two buildings which face the water, and houses many little shops, clothing
stores, walk-away eateries and sit-down restaurants.

2) The Maryland Science Center contains visual and interactive displays of
scientific principles and information about our changing environment, etc.
The Science Center also has a planetarium, and a 5 story theatre called
"IMAX" which I have not been to, but I've heard is impressive.

3) Be sure to go to the "Top of the World".  Take the elevator to the top of
Baltimore's World Trade Center.  You can see all of Baltimore from here
(there are maps with pointers to tell you what/where the famous/historic
places are).

4) The National Aquarium.

5) Little Italy is a very ethnic Italian community, and the best place in
town to get Italian food.  Many restaurants there, and everyone has his own
opinion of the best.

6) The Brokerage is Baltimore's latest addition to nightlife.  Visit
The Fishmarket (a mall-like collection of theme bars and all types of music),
Baltimore's Original Sports Bar (televises many popular sporting events and
has places to shoot pool, baskets, etc. and sometimes even a volleyball court),
Ltl Ditty's [pronounced 'little ditties'] (my personal favorite, a sing-along
 piano bar), Fat Tuesday's (for Cajun style drinks and atmosphere)...  just
part of a very long list.

7) Fort McHenry, where Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner

8) Good seafood restaurants include The Rusty Scupper, The Charthouse and
Phillips Harborplace.  Be sure to try Maryland steamed crabs!

9) There are many boat trips of all lenghts and prices that leave hourly/daily
from the harbor.  Check with the concierge at your hotel or the harbormaster's
pavilion for times and prices.

If you have a car, you might want to visit the following places:

1) Go uptown and watch the Baltimore Orioles play (if they are in town)

2) Go to Washington D.C., there is plenty of stuff to see there (monuments,
Smithsonian, etc) and its only about 45-60 minutes away.

3) The Baltimore Zoo or the Washington National Zoo

4) Annapolis, the capitol of Maryland, relatively small harbor city.

These are the main highlights that I can think of quickly.  Baltimore is
very tourist oriented, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding maps/
directions to any of these places.  Enjoy!

Karen Petraska, Systems
karen at umbc3.umbc.edu