USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Michael Meissner meissner at dg-rtp.dg.com
Wed Dec 13 02:44:09 AEST 1989

In article </}_S!#@b-tech.uucp> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:

|  >Clearly, the Telebit 'g' spoof works well for us now.  Philosophically,
|  >though, it bothers me that we have an OS as vendor-independent as UNIX,
|  >yet we are so dependent on Telebit.  Ideally, other equipment should be
|
|  All we really need is for vendors to fix the larger packet sizes
|  code in uucp so that acks will fit in small reverse channels.  Telebit
|  has made alot of money providing a workaround for this "bug" in uucp.

Another thing to look into is dealing with small mail messages as well
as the large news batches.  As I understand the way uucp works, it has
to syncronize both ends when each file is completely transfered.  This
leads to poor performance if you don't have a large file to amortize
the startup and shutdown costs before the next file is transfered.
Michael Meissner, Data General.
Until 12/15:	meissner at dg-rtp.DG.COM
After 12/15:	meissner at osf.org