Networks considered harmful/Re: USENIX board studies UUCP

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Thu Dec 21 03:04:28 AEST 1989

In article <8912200236.AA25652 at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> cire at CISCO.COM (cire|eric) writes:
> Yes Computer based telecommunications has a great deal of more utility
> than FAX but I don't think that is the point.  You must first make the
> connection before all that starts making a difference.

OK. Let's do it. What should the communications look like? UUCP? Dial-up
SLIP? Or something more like FIDO? All we need to do is agree on a
standard and then we can start saying:

	mail 7134385018!peter
Or:
	mail peter at 7134385018.PHONE

And folks with home PCs can do the same. Just make it simple enough that
any bozo with a copy of PCTalk can hack it up.

Chat scripts for UUCP, and baud rates, are the biggest problem.

How about this:

To start up the session, you need to send the string "email<CR>". This should
handle the login problems. You keep sending this string with a 1 second
delay until you get a protocol startup... so you'd make your email login
"email" with password (if any) "email". A PC could just start straight up
with the protocol.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter at ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter at ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>.