USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Steve Schonberger stevesc at microsoft.UUCP
Fri Dec 8 16:01:17 AEST 1989

In article </}_S!#@b-tech.uucp> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>Clearly, the Telebit 'g' spoof works well for us now.  Philosophically,
>>though, it bothers me that we have an OS as vendor-independent as UNIX,
>>yet we are so dependent on Telebit.  Ideally, other equipment should be

>All we really need is for vendors to fix the larger packet sizes
>code in uucp so that acks will fit in small reverse channels.  Telebit
>has made alot of money providing a workaround for this "bug" in uucp.

Things like this can be done to fix the problem between pairs of
sites.  Assuming sites A and B have a large-packet uucp but C just has
regular uucp, A and B can configure their mail to use enhanced uucp
between each other, but old uucp with C, just as is now done when A
and B are on the Internet but C isn't.  The change doesn't have to
happen for everyone at once.  Unless there's something particularly
hardware dependent about uucp, an enhanced public domain version could
be posted and soon a lot of sites could be using it.

	Steve Schonberger	microsoft!stevesc at uunet.uu.net
	"Working under pressure is the sugar that we crave" --A. Lamb