USENIX Board Studies UUCP: Compression

Brad Templeton brad at looking.on.ca
Sat Dec 2 15:30:36 AEST 1989

The problem is that only detecting forwarded lines and using them if
the original article is in the same batch is exactly what Lempel-Ziv
does for you now!

Why do you think LZ does so well on News batches.   I know that I and
many people have thought a fair bit about better compression schemes for
news.  It is possible, but it's a lot harder than we think.  News has a lot
of repeated strings, and batches have even more, so LZ does a very impressive
job to start with.