1990 Elections - Board of Directors

Dan Schlitt dan at ccnysci.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 09:28:16 AEST 1989

In article <2206 at prune.bbn.com> rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
:>  The [nominating]
:>committee's charge was to ensure that there were at least as many suitable
:>candidates nominated as there are positions on the Board.

:The formal charge is to find decent candidates, but apparently the informal
:charge was to get people the board liked?
:
:For the record, IT WAS WRONG for the nominating committee to pick its
:own chairman as a nominee.
:	/r$
That was my reaction also.  Perhaps my thoughts were in a little more
colorful language.  Such a nomination reflects one of two things -- a
severe lack of qualified candidates willing to be nominated, or desire
to keep close control of the organization.  Since there was a fuss
about the nominations last year I would say that the whole operation
of the nominating committee this year reflects bad judgement.  The
board should have listened to Kolstad.
--
Dan Schlitt                        Manager, Science Division Computer Facility
dan at sci.ccny.cuny.edu              City College of New York