USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Snoopy snoopy at sopwith
Mon Dec 18 10:15:38 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec5.005413.7500 at world.std.com> bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:

|From: snoopy at sopwith (Snoopy)
|>bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
|>
|>| With ISDN coming and cheaper leased line alternatives I suspect most
|>| people would be better off moving towards WAN protocols that can later
|>| support them on higher-grade connections.
|>
|>"Most people" are not going to have ISDN or leased lines.  "Most people"
|>are going to have POTS.  Any new system must run well on POTS lines.
|
|(I assume by "most people" we both mean "most people who are likely to
|use this service at all.)

Well, not necessarily.  What if I want to take a laptop along when I
go visit mom in Lotech, USA?

|I also think leased lines are more within reach than most people
|realize. Installation, last I checked, is a little expensive (like
|$300) but a local 9600b leased line can be in the $100/mo range.
|That's quite affordable by private individuals with even modest means

I'm currently getting 11000bps using a Telebit on my voice line which
I need anyway.  Why should I pay $300 inst + $100/month for lower
performance?  I have much better things to spend that money on.

    _____
   /_____\    Snoopy				"I read banned newsgroups."
  /_______\   cse.ogi.edu!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     sun!nosun!qiclab!sopwith!snoopy
    |___|     uunet!tektronix!tessi!illian!sopwith!snoopy