Software Management Workshop

Peter H. Salus peter at usenix.UUCP
Fri Feb 24 04:31:49 AEST 1989

                 WORKSHOP ON SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT
               Sponsored by the USENIX Association
The USENIX Association invites you to attend a  Software  Manage-
ment Workshop being held in New Orleans, LA on April 3 - 4, 1989.
The objective of the workshop is to  present,  discuss,  and  in-
crease awareness of the issues involved with software management,
in order to improve and facilitate the distribution  and  sharing
of source throughout the UNIX community.
                     WORKSHOP EVENT SCHEDULE
                    SUNDAY EVENING, April 2
   4:00pm - 9:00pm         No host reception and registration

        MONDAY, April 3                 TUESDAY, April 4
9:00am - 5:30pm:  Workshop sessions              9:00am - 5:30pm:  Workshop sessions
6:00pm - 8:00pm:  Reception
W O R K S H O P    R E G I S T R A T I O N    I N F O R M A T I O N
You MUST register in advance to attend  this  limited  enrollment
workshop.   Register early as space is available on a
first-come, first-served basis.
                 REGISTRATION FEE:       $200.00
Deadline: March 27, 1989!

               H O T E L    I N F O R M A T I O N
The workshop will be held at:
          The New Orleans Hilton  - Riverside & Towers Hotel
          Poydras at the Mississippi River
          New Orleans, LA   70140
          Telephone: (504) 561-0500
     ROOM RATES:  $100.00/night - Single or Double Occupancy
     (Plus 11% sales tax and $2 occupancy charge per room per night)
Call the  Reservation  Desk.   Tell reservations that you are a USENIX
Conference attendee to take advantage  of  our  group  rate.
IMPORTANT:  Room reservation deadline is March 7, 1989.  Requests
for reservations received after the deadline will be handled on a
space and RATE available basis.

A I R P O R T    T O    H O T E L    T R A N S P O R T A T I O N
New Orleans International Airport is approximately 18 miles  from
the New Orleans Hilton Hotel.  Rhodes Limousine Service is avail-
able outside the baggage claim area at a cost of $7.00  one  way.
Limousine  service  runs  every 20 minutes, 24 hours a day.  Taxi
service is available at an approximate cost of $18 one way.

                        Tentative Program
Monday, April 3
9:00-10:30      Introduction and Keynote Address        Chair: David Tilbrook
                Vic Stenning, Anshar Ltd., "Project Hygiene"
11:00-12:30     Version Management I                    Chair: Deborah Scherrer
                Steven R. Bourne, Sun Microsystems
                "What a Source Code Control System Should Do"
                Masahiro Honda and Terence Miller, Sun Microsystems
                "Software Management using a CASE Environment"
                Andy Glew, Motorola MCD, "Boxes, Links, and Parallel Trees"
12:30-2:00      LUNCH
2:00-3:30       Version Management II                   Chair: Kirk McKusick
                Peter Costantinidis, Jr. and Hamish Reid, Unisoft Corp.
                "The DV System of Source File Management"
                Dale Miller, Sterling IMD, "Controlling Software for Multiple Projects"
4:00-5:30       Testing                                 Chair: Barry Shein
                Barton P. Miller, Lars Fredriksen and Bryan So
                Computer Sciences Dept, University of Wisconsin, Madison
                "An Empirical Study of the Reliability of Operating
                System Utilities"
                Evi Nemeth, University of Colorado, Boulder, Panel Discussion
6:00-8:00       RECEPTION
Tuesday, April 4
9:00-10:30      Installation & Configuration Management Chair: David Tilbrook
                Russel Brand and D. Brent Chapman,
                Lawrence Livermore National Laboratories
                "RAPID: Remote Automated Patch Installation Data Base"
                Susan A. Dart and Peter Feiler, Software Engineering Institute, CMU
                "Configuration Management of an Environment"
                Tan Bronson, Microvation, "The CCSLAND Configuration Control System"
11:00-12:30     Release Engineering                     Chair: Deborah Scherrer
                Kirk McKusick, CSRG, University of California, Berkeley
                "The Release Engineering of 4.3BSD"
                Don Davis, MIT Project Athena, "Project Athena's Release Engineering Tricks"
                Mel Pleasant and Eliot Lear, Rutgers University
                "Transcending Administrative Domains by Automating
                System Management Tasks in a Large Heterogeneous Environment"
12:30-2:00      LUNCH
2:00-3:30       Miscellaneous Topics                    Chair: Kirk McKusick
                Paul R. Eggert, Unisys Corporation, "Automating the Importation of Software"
                Andrew Hume, AT&T Bell Laboratories, "The Use of a Time Machine to Control Software"
                Peter Nicklin, Hewlett-Packard
                "Experiences Using a Hypertext Framework to Manage Software"
4:00-5:30       The Grand View                          Chair: Barry Shein
                David Tilbrook, Nixdorf Corp.
                "Under Ten Flags: Software Management on Many Different Unix Systems"
                Panel Discussion and Wrap-up

       FOR FURTHER CONFERENCE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
                    USENIX Conference Office
                          P.O. Box 385
                     16951 Pacific Coast Hwy
                     Sunset Beach, CA  90742
            Telephone: (213) 592-1381, (213) 592-3243