Benchmarking hospitality suites

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.ISC.COM
Wed Feb 22 15:58:40 AEST 1989

In article <3689 at phri.UUCP>, roy at phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> 	There is no doubt that the Sun suite was the best of the show.

Not true.  There is plenty of doubt, although they did a nice job.  I
thought HCR did OK too.  The Guru beer would have had a better chance if
people there had a better understanding of beer.  (I assume the diacetyl
character was intentional; it *was* a British beer, after all.)  Amdahl had
a good shot too; I think the hotel dropped the ball on them.  (Are real
chiles unknown in San Diego, or what?)  Was it Pencom that made such a bad
showing by having (apparent) leftovers from the reception the night before?

> 8-foot heros, good beer (Corona and Heinekin) nice fruit platters...

The sandwich was a good idea, but as for the beer, let's face it, Corona
and Heineken are more mass appeal than tasteful!  (Where's that Steam?!)
Heineken is decently made, but too light, and why on earth does anyone ship
something as perishable as beer 1/4 of the way around the world anyway???

Corona???  Come on, Corona is to beer what the PC/AT is to computers:  It's
a cut above the lowest commodity, but nobody who really cares takes it
seriously.  Look at it--the clowns who bottle it don't even care enough to
put it in a proper bottle!

The fruit was the best part.  Speaking of that, I wonder how many people at
the reception Wed figured out that the ham was wrapped around papaya...

> ...The shoelaces were kind of neat too...

Perhaps, but shoelaces have something in common with yo-yo's:  ambiguity.
With yo-yo's, it's obvious--do you want to be associated with something
that's constantly going down and up, and sometimes won't come back up at
all?  Shoelaces are more subtle, but you have to wonder when Skip is
standing there showing people how to tie nooses.
--
Dick Dunn      UUCP: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd           (303)449-2870
   ...Just say no to mindless dogma.