suggestions for future conferences

Mark Lawrence mark at drd.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 03:33:58 AEST 1989

devine at cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) wrote:
	[some suggestions]
} 1. Multiple tracks for the main session....

I feel for the Board.  Damned if ya do and damned if ya don't.  I *like*
the single track main sessions.  I think that the Board has responded well
to past criticism about multi-tracked main sessions (which were tried).

I go with the faction that says I don't want to have to make choices
among two talks that happen to be presented simultaneously.

} 2. Use the conference as more than a series of meetings.
I like this idea if the opinion monitored is something of substance.

} 3. Add more features.
I think that this happens, but more or less as people WANT to devote
energy and effort to make it happen.  The Board has demonstrated
openness to such activities in the past and my guess is that they
probably will continue to do so *IF* people volunteer to do the work.

} 4. Open up the conferences to more than Unix.  This might be a
}    heretical statement.

*NO* and Yes, it is.  I joined Usenix for a reason.  It's called Usenix
*for* a reason.  "Keep them ferin' operatin' systems *out* of my
association" (children and grandchildren of UNIX excepted -- e.g. Mach)

} Bob Devine

Mark Lawrence