First impressions

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 7 00:38:22 AEST 1989

In article <15901 at vail.ICO.ISC.COM> rcd at ico.ISC.COM (Dick Dunn) wrote:

>But let's not be too quick to say everyone should be
>using slides--there are some compelling reasons to use transparencies for
>an overhead projector:
>	- It takes skilled people and special equipment to produce good
>	  slides.  Many smaller organizations don't have it.  Good overhead
>	  transparencies can be produced on a < $4k laser printer on a PC.

	Add a copy stand ($100-200), a camera ($250), and an orange
	filter ($15) and you can make blue slides from anything that
	would go onto an overhead transparency.  It's just not that
	difficult.  Use Vericolor film, at about 4 ISO.

	In my experience, it's easier to make sharp-looking slides
	than really good overheads.  Especially so if the presentation
	includes photographs.

	Slide projectors generally do a better job of filling a
	big screen with an undistorted image.

>	- When you're answering a question about "that slide about work-
>	  stations promoting Ferrari ownership" you can go back to it
>	  directly (by calling for the overhead) instead of subjecting a
>	  thousand people to the dizzying process of cycling backward
>	  through two dozen slides in an automatic changer.

	Due more to incompetent A/V help than to a deficiency in the
	medium.  If the speaker knows which slide (s)he wants, the
	projectionist should be able to select it immediately, without
	cycling through the others.

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-7277		karish at forel.stanford.edu