Re^2: First impressions

Steve C. Simmons scs at itivax.iti.org
Fri Jul 14 23:58:46 AEST 1989

ggw at wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

>	Sure, I know my own work, and I think that someone out there might
>like to hear about it, BUT... I'm just the computer guru for a soft-science
>discipline shop (demographics) and don't get the consideration of taking
>the time to prepare papers and going to conferences to present them.

So?  One of the most interesting (to me) papers from last winter was
on the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) and how they pushed and shoved
things to deal with this huge textual object.  It doesn't matter much
what the intent of your firm is, what counts is are you using UNIX in
an interesting way to do it.

>	Besides that, the USENIX Call for Participation lists the "themes"
>for the meetings, and my problems don't seem to match the recent themes.

Submit anyway.  There's always a 'grab-bag' or two in the sessions.
And given the scarcity of good papers, I really doubt they'll turn
it away just because it isn't on their topics list.  Those themes
are suggestions and guides, not handcuffs.
Steve Simmons		          scs at vax3.iti.org
Industrial Technology Institute     Ann Arbor, MI.
"Velveeta -- the Spam of Cheeses!" -- Uncle Bonsai