First impressions

Andrew Tannenbaum trb at haddock.ima.isc.com
Fri Jul 7 07:28:58 AEST 1989

In article <11758 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> smb at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:
> The environment at Usenix is totally different.  You're not flipping
> the viewgraphs yourself (oh, for a button to signal the person changing
> them, instead of an incessant ``next slide, please''!)

USENIX should be able to work out the technology for slide/foil
flipping without "next slide please" - either with a remote control to
the slide projector or with a beeper-button wired to an earphone that
the foil flipper is wearing.  While it can occasionally be amusing to
watch a speaker and flipper send semaphores with their hats, I think we
have the technology to do it out of band.

Besides the fact that many presenters put too much small text on their
slides, one thing that often bothers me about viewgraphs at USENIX is
that the images on the screens usually suffer from severe keystoning -
because of the angle of projection, the top is wider than the bottom -
yecch.  If we must have viewgraphs, either the screens should be tilted
or special lenses should be used to compensate for this distortion.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Cambridge, MA   +1 617 661 7474