Jim Joyce, books, vendor booths, etc.

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Jul 2 07:14:19 AEST 1989

In article <270 at ncis.tis.llnl.gov> mcb at ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>> Sales on the exhibition floor are expressly prohibited by the
>> IRS in the statutes governing our not-for-profit status.
>> Our attorney insists the laws are quite explicit...
>
>A large number of nonprofit organizations sponsor events in which
>a sale is held incidental to other activities, for example science
>fiction/fantasy and comics conventions where there are dealers'
>rooms with retail sales...

As I understand it, there are several (many?) slightly-differing flavors
of nonprofit organization; the rules differ.

(I too would be curious to know where the difference comes, but I am
not surprised that there is one.)
--
NASA is to spaceflight as the  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
US government is to freedom.   | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu