Jim Joyce, books, vendor booths, etc.

Lindsey MS 04396 mlindsey at x102c.harris-atd.com
Mon Jul 3 22:35:43 AEST 1989

In article <270 at ncis.tis.llnl.gov> mcb at ncis.tis.llnl.gov (Michael C. Berch) writes:
>In article <22900004 at prisma> mo at prisma (Mike O'Dell) writes:
>> Sales on the exhibition floor are expressly prohibited by the
>> IRS in the statutes governing our not-for-profit status.
>> Our attorney insists the laws are quite explicit and that the IRS is
>> quite diligent in their enforcement, and such things get particular
>> scrutiny during the periodic review of not-for-profit status.
>
>A large number of nonprofit organizations sponsor events in which
>a sale is held incidental to other activities ...

I haven't been to a DECUS conference for a couple of years, but they used to
have a bookstore on the exhibition floor.  I remember buying a copy of "Kermit:
A File Transfer Protocol" at the May 87 DECUS in Nashville, Tennessee.  Maybe
someone could ask DECUS for more information.

If "religious" organizations can run bingo operations and still retain their
tax-exempt status, then surely someone can sell a few books at USENIX.

"The only difference between a madman and myself is that I am not mad"   S. Dali
"If the shoe fits, buy it!"	Imelda Marcos.
Steve Lindsey		|-)	uunet!x102a!mlindsey
(407) 727-5893		:-)	mlindsey at x102a.harris-atd.com