Jim Joyce, books, vendor booths, etc.

bob larson blarson at basil.usc.edu
Tue Jul 4 08:10:24 AEST 1989

In article <34181 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>Of course we are now about to gore ourselves on the various
>not-for-profit/tax-exempt permutations, but I don't believe DECUS
>claims any of these things (nor could they under federal law, if they
>serve only one vendor they are barred from this status, Prime User's
>Group vs. Someone, I forget the exact precedent.

My understanding is that DECUS gives third-party vendors a more-or-less
equal footing with DEC.

NPUG has only one vendor with an exibit area as part of the converence.
(Prime.)  To get third party info, you must go to the BITS conference.
(Located in the same city durring the same week as NPUG.)  My understanding
is that this was done under pressure from Prime, who threatened not to
participate if third parties were given an equal chance.  (They have done so
to some local users groups, but their policy isn't consistant.)

Bob Larson	Arpa:	blarson at basil.usc.edu
Uucp: {uunet,cit-vax}!usc!basil!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%ais1 at ecla.usc.edu
			usc!ais1!info-prime-request